Freestanding Vanity Units
Freestanding vanity units, also known as floor standing vanity units, are one of the easiest ways to update a bathroom, adding more storage at the same time as improving its aesthetics. As they are a standalone piece of furniture, you can buy one separately from your other bathroom furniture if you are making an addition to your existing room, or you can purchase one as part of a bathroom furniture set if your room is undergoing a complete renovation.
You can choose from either regular freestanding units or a unit that comes with a basin built in, depending on your needs. They come in different sizes and depths, and they also have a choice of either just cabinets or cabinets and drawers depending on the depth and size of the unit.
Whether you’re looking for a vanity unit for your cloakroom, family bathroom, or ensuite, you’re sure to find the floor standing vanity unit you need in our extensive and stylish product range.
Why should you choose a Freestanding Vanity Unit?
If you’re wondering whether a freestanding vanity unit is right for your home, here are some of the benefits of choosing one:
- They are easy to fit. You can simply add them to your existing bathroom furniture if you have sufficient available space. They also come with all the essential fixings you need to attach them securely to your bathroom wall.
- They’re best for maximum storage. Modern bathrooms tend to be compact and finding places to store all of your essentials is vital. With a freestanding vanity unit, you can keep towels, accessories, and toiletries hidden conveniently from view. That makes them especially useful for cloakrooms or compact ensuites where there may be no other available location for storage solutions.
- They come with either cupboards or both cupboards and drawers, so you can choose the configuration that is best for your own needs.
- They come in a huge range of different colours and sizes, so there’s sure to be one that fits in your space and in a shade that complements your bathroom décor. They also come in different depths to fit into even the narrowest cloakrooms and ensuites.
- They’re a great choice for hiding exposed pipework that is spoiling the appearance of your bathroom.
- They’re a convenient quick fix if you’ve taken out a bathroom basin that has left damage to the wall that needs a repair. Simply replace the basin with the right size of freestanding unit and you won’t need to bother with the expense and hassle of repairing the wall.
Often, freestanding bathroom vanities offer superior storage to that provided by wall hung or floating vanities and cabinets. Not only do they offer cupboard space, but often they also have drawers too, and sometimes even open shelves.
Since freestanding vanities are sold alone they come in an enormous choice of sizes, and since they don’t depend on the other furniture in your bathroom, you can choose the size that best meets your needs. There are also many designs to pick from, so you can choose whether to opt for one that complements the other furniture in your bathroom or whether to choose one that stands out as a focal point in your room. Since many freestanding vanity units are part of a furniture set, you can choose a unit that matches your existing pieces to maintain consistency in your bathroom theming if you prefer.
Do you have to attach a freestanding vanity to the wall?
Although a freestanding vanity unit has the word “freestanding” in its name, it’s a little misleading as it’s highly recommended that you attach your unit to the wall. Although attaching a floor standing unit to a wall isn’t actually necessary to support its structure, it could represent a hazard if it was knocked over.
If your freestanding vanity unit has an integrated basin, it’s even more important to attach it to the wall that the basin has been plumbed into. Once your plumbing has been secured, if the vanity moves that could impact or damage the pipework. Luckily, it’s simple to fix your unit to your wall as it comes with 2 L brackets.
What are the different options?
Freestanding vanity units come in many different styles, so there’s sure to be one that suits your bathroom theme and also your personal tastes. You can choose from:
- Modern designs with the latest cutting-edge colours and handle designs
- Traditional designs with classic colours and a more conventional appearance
- Vanities with countertop basins that sit in the top of the counter. These are an ideal choice if you have a compact bathroom as it serves dual function.
- Double basin units for a his and hers style bathroom. These are an excellent choice for ensuites or for large family bathrooms.
- Units that have both cabinets and drawers, or ones that only have cabinets.
What are the most popular Freestanding Vanity Units?
Although floor standing vanity units come in a wide range of different types and sizes, the most common options are:
What else do I need to consider?
Before you choose the right freestanding vanity unit for your bathroom, it’s important to consider whether you have sufficient space for your chosen unit, or indeed, for any unit at all. You need to take the time to measure carefully to ensure not only that the unit itself will fit into your available space but that you will have enough room left to open the drawers and cabinets fully and to stand in front of the unit in order to put things inside it!
Don’t forget, too, that your bathroom door will still need to open and close freely, so make sure that you’ve allowed sufficient space for this when planning where to place your unit and which size of unit to buy.